Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weekend in Florida!

Now that I have a had a week to decompress and get back to life up here in Connecticut, I feel I can write about one of my shortest yet best vacations ever. For the past several years my parents have spent the month of March in Florida. Their chosen destination has been the Clearwater area on the Gulf. The last 2 years I have managed to go down and visit for a long weekend. This year was the best yet. By far the most relaxing and stress free weekend and trip that I can remember. Nothing but my parents and one of my best friends from Long Island.

Justin and I flew in Thursday night. We arrived and my parents were waiting with tans and smiles and even a chilled 6 pack in the car waiting for us. We decided to hit the local pub for some food as it was getting late and we had an early start the next morning. Food and drinks were stellar, there’s nothing better than fresh seafood and although Duke lost and my bracket was shot I was over it in seconds and ready for fun.



Friday morning Justin, my Dad, and myself woke up and hit the charter boat for some fishing. Since my parents have been going to the same boat and skipper the last couple of years they always take care of us. Last year when I visited it was during the worst winter Florida had seen in years, this year was the opposite. Many consider it the best in years. So after catching no fish last year, this year the setting was set for a massive haul. Between the 3 of us after 4 hours of fishing managed to get about 30 fish. We told the deckhand to only give us 2 dozen and give the rest to someone who didn’t catch as many. When we returned to the dock, the deckhand Derrick, filleted all of our fish for us. Mom was there and joined us for the best part as we took all of our fish to a local bar a block or two away for a feast. Places like this bar, Cooters, are all over the area. They will charge you a small nominal fee but will cook all of your seafood for you. All you have to pay for are the sides and the drinks! WE had our fish fried and blackened with sides of cole slaw and French fries and a pitcher of beer. What a great meal. Farm or Sea to plate in a few hours :)
We spent the rest of Friday first at the beach and swimming in the Gulf, with cocktails in the cooler, and then back at the condo pool and beach there, again with cocktails :) For dinner we dined at the Bonefish Grill, a favorite of my parents, where we all had some incredible meals and celebrated Justin’s birthday with a special dessert which happened to be his favorite.



Saturday day was going to be a relaxing day at the beach. We woke up, packed the car, and took our time as we ventured to down the area of Pass-a-Grille beach. We were there early enough to pick out a nice spot on the perfect sand near the jetty where the fishing was going down. On the way we picked up some live bait and were ready to just catch and release.  Shop was set up on the best sand ever and off we went to the jetty. There were already a bunch of people there off the jetty and even a dolphin in the water chasing everyone’s catch. Soon enough the fish were biting and we were reeling in some nice catches. The majority of people there were keeping their catch for their own consumption so we got a few looks when we threw back ours. We considered the good karma from the day earlier J After a few hours and many more dolphins checking out the action it was time to retire to the condo. After pouring some cocktails the pool side party resumed from the previous day until it was time for dinner. Since my parent s were leaving in a few days we took this night to help clean out the fridge and have a leftover special. Everything turned out great and the last night was spent with cocktails on the beach watching the sunset.


Sunday came and it was time to say goodbye to paradise. I cannot wait to back again next year. Sure it was only two days, but two of the most relaxed days I’ve had in forever.  The pictures posted here and online don’t even do it justice.


See you next March Clearwater!

No comments:

Post a Comment